- Designated a Justice of the Third Department on September 8, 1993.
- Appointed Presiding Justice on January 1, 1994 and reappointed January 1, 2005.
- Graduated from Manhattan
College in 1962.
- In the United States Navy from 1963 to 1967,
serving as a Naval officer in the Vietnam War.
- Following his honorable
discharge, attended Albany Law School and graduated in 1970.
- Practiced law for 14 years, a span which included a two-year
period as a part-time attorney with the Albany County Public Defender's office and
service as a Law Guardian in Albany County Family Court.
- Judicial career started as Albany County Family
Court Judge in 1985, where he served until he was elected to the Supreme
Court effective January 1, 1991. Reelected to the Supreme Court in 2004.
- Appointed Administrative Judge for
the Third Judicial District in January 1992 and served in that capacity
until his designation to the Third Department.
- Co-chair, Family Violence Task Force established by Chief Judge Kaye, 1994-2005.
- Member, Board of Trustees of Albany Law School.
- Member, Council of Chief Judges of the American Bar Association, serving as President, 2002-2003.