New York Court Help

Correcting a "Mistake" on a Birth Certificate

You may not need a court order if you only want to correct a "mistake" on your birth certificate.

An example of a "mistake" is correcting Dauid to David. This requires written proof of the mistake which may include:

  • a letter from the hospital
  • immunization records
  • doctor's records
  • school admission letter
  • religious document
  • life insurance policy

If you want to change your name, you need a court order. An example of a name change is changing June to Edna. You can use the DIY Form to make your court papers.

To correct a "mistake" on your birth certificate
If you were born within the five boroughs of New York City, contact the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Office of Vital Records at 212-639-9675.

If you were born in New York but outside of New York City, contact the Department of Health, Vital Records Section, Correction Unit at (518) 474-5018.

If you were born outside of New York, contact the vital statistics office in the State or area where you were born.

Last updated on March 15, 2013

 New York State Unified Court System
Court Facts
The Law - Common Questions