New York Court Help

District, City, Town or Village Court
Small Property Owner Licensee Holdover Petition Program

About the program
New York City residents
Computer requirements
Start the Licensee Holdover Petition Program

About the program

This free and easy program will ask you questions and make papers for a residential licensee holdover petition or notice to quit to start a licensee holdover case in court. You will also get instructions that tell you what to do next.

You can use this program if:

  • You do not have a lawyer, and
  • The premises is unregulated housing, and
  • The premises is not owned by a corporation or voluntary association, and
  • You are the owner of the premises, and
  • You own less than 3 rental units, and
  • Your former tenant has moved out of the premises, and
  • The person you want to evict was invited to live in the premises with your former tenant before your tenant moved out, and
  • You want to evict one person.

It is helpful to know the exact date or your best guess for the date that your former tenant moved out of the premises.

Back to top

New York City Residents

New York City residents can use the NYC Small Property Owner Licensee Holdover Program on the NYC Housing Court website. This program will not make the right court papers for you.

Back to top

Computer requirements

You must have the following on your computer to use this program:

  1. Adobe Flash to see the program. Download it now for free.
  2. Microsoft Word to properly view and print the completed court forms. If you do not have Word, you can download Word Viewer now for free and view and print Word documents, even if you donít have Word on your computer.

    Note: Microsoft WordPad is not the same as Microsoft Word. WordPad will cause problems with your documents.

See Frequently Asked Questions

Back to top


Licensee Holdover Petition Program

Note: You will be taken to our partner website called LawHelp Interactive.

You can "Sign Up to Save Your Work" or go directly to the program without signing up by clicking on "Get Started" or "Go". Then check to agree to the Terms of Use and click on "Continue" to begin the program.

NYS DIY Forms are only for court users who don't have a lawyer and legal services and pro bono attorneys and staff helping clients who cannot afford lawyers. Commercial use is prohibited and no one may charge for using these programs. When you begin the program, you will be asked to accept these terms of use.

Back to top

This program was created by the New York State Courts Access to Justice Program.

Last updated on April 24, 2014

 New York State Unified Court System
Court Facts
The Law
April 24, 2014