Plattsburgh City Court

Civil Actions 

CourtroomIf a case does not fall within the jurisdiction of small claims court or summary proceedings, then you may be able to bring a civil action in the City Court.

Monetary Jurisdiction (Uniform City Court Act, sec. 202):

The Court shall have jurisdiction of actions and proceedings for the recovery of money or  personal property where the amount sought to be recovered or the value of the property  does not exceed $15,000, exclusive of interest and costs.

Counterclaims filed in response to a Summons and Complaint do not have a monetary limit.

Geographical Jurisdiction (Uniform City Court Act, sec 213):

To bring a civil action in the City Court, EITHER the plaintiff or the defendant must:

1. be a resident of the City or be a resident of a town contiguous to the City; or
2. have regular employment within the City; or
3. have a place for the regular transaction of business within the City. 

A suit is commenced in the City Court upon service of a summons and complaint upon a defendant and the timely filing of the summons and complaint with the Court with the appropriate court fee.

If, after all discovery and depositions have been completed, a civil action is to proceed to trial, a trial note of issue must be filed for either a non-jury or jury trial.

It is RECOMMENDED that a plaintiff seek the advice of counsel in filing a civil action. Please note that the Court cannot provide legal assistance.


©2004 - All Rights Reserved.
New York State Unified Court System Lady Justice