New York Courts dot gov
New York StateUnified Court System

New York City Civil Court - Housing Part

Small Property Owner Licensee Holdover Petition Program

This free and easy program will ask you questions and make a New York City residential licensee holdover Notice to Quit or Notice of Petition and Petition that you can print, serve and file in the courthouse. You will also get instructions that will tell you what to do. There is a fee to file the Notice of Petition and Petition at the courthouse.

You can use this program if:
1. You do not have a lawyer, and
2. The premises is unregulated housing, and
3. The premises is not owned by a corporation or voluntary association, and
4. You are the owner and landlord of the premises, and
5. The building has five or less apartments, or is a house, cooperative or condominium that you own, and
6. Your former tenant has moved out of the premises, and
7. The person you want to evict was invited to live in the premises with your former tenant before your tenant moved out, and
8. You want to evict one person.

You will need to know the following information to finish the program:
1. If the premises is a multiple dwelling, you need the name and address of the registered managing agent and the multiple dwelling registration number. You can find this information at the NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development.
2. It is helpful to know the exact date or your best guess for the date that your former tenant moved out of the premises.

You will need to know the following information to finish the program:
1. Adobe Flash to see the program. Get it now for free.

Get Adobe Flash Player
2. Microsoft Word to see and print the completed court forms properly. If you don’t have Word, you can download Word Viewer now for free.
Get MS Office Word Viewer

Go to the Licensee Holdover Program.

You will be taken to our partner website called LawHelpInteractive. You can sign up to save your work or go directly to the program by clicking on “Go.” Then check to agree to the Terms of Use and click on "Continue" to begin the program.

If this program is not for you, learn more about starting a holdover or visit one of the Civil Court’s Help Centers and speak to a Help Center attorney free of charge.

Please Note: It is always better to talk to a lawyer, if possible.



















































Map of NY City Counties  Search Housing Court: