New York County

Jefferson Market Courthouse
Jefferson Market Courthouse

New York, NY

Built 1875-1877 and designed by architects Frederick Clarke Withers and Calvert Baux.

This courthouse was voted by a poll of architects in 1880 as one of the most beautiful buildings in America. It's now in use as part of the New York Public Library system.



New York County Courthouse
New York County Courthouse
Unmailed postcard
New York County Courthouse
Unmailed postcard

New York, NY

Architect Guy Lowell designed these in 1913.

These edifices never came into being.



Appellate Division, First Department, Courthouse
Appellate Division, First Department, Courthouse
Appellate Division, First Department, Courthouse
Appellate Division, First Department, Courthouse
Appellate Division, First Department, Courthouse
Postcard mailed October 16, 1906
Albany County Courthouse
Present day

27 Madison Avenue, New York, NY

The justices of the Supreme Court, Appellate Division, First Department, approved the construction of this Beaux-Arts courthouse in 1896 at 27 Madison Ave. in Manhattan.. It was designed by James Brown Lord and finished construction in 1900.

In 1974 additional space for the Court and its committees was obtained in a newly built high-rise office tower at 41 Madison Avenue, adjacent to and connected with the courthouse. The courthouse is a landmark building and it's still in use today.

Source: "Survey of Court Facilities in New York State," NYS Office of Court Administration. 1981 pg. 5



New York County Courthouse, 1927
New York County Courthouse
New York County Courthouse
Shown here are Courthouse on left & Federal Building on right
New York County Courthouse
New York County Courthouse

New York, NY

Designed by architect Guy Lowell, this courthouse opened in 1927 and is still in use as Supreme Court for New York County.



Criminal Courts Building, The Tombs and The Bridge of Sighs
Criminal Courts Building
Criminal Courts Building shown on right. "The Tombs" (shown on left) was connected to the courthouse by "The Bridge of Sighs".
Criminal Courts Building
Criminal Courts Building
The Tombs
"The Tombs" shown in the foreground and to the right is the Criminal Courts Building
The Tombs & Bridge of Sighs
"The Tombs" (L) and the Bridge of Sighs (C) connecting to the Criminal Courts Building (R).
Bridge of Sighs
"The Bridge of Sighs" (C) connecting The Tombs (R) to the Criminal Courts Building (L)
Bridge of Sighs
"The Bridge of Sighs," (C) connecting "The Tombs" (L) to the Criminal Courts Buliding (R)

New York, NY

The Criminal Courts Building was built in 1893-1894. Designed by architects Arthur M. Thom and James W. Wilson.

It was razed in 1946. The complex was in the vicinity of Franklin, Centre, White, and Lafayette Streets.

The Tombs, designed by architects Frederick Clarke Withers and Walter Dickson, was built circa 1902 and used until 1941. It was demolished in 1942.

The Bridge of Sighs, connecting The Tombs to the Criminal Courts Buliding, was built circa 1902 and demolished in 1942.


Criminal Courts Building, 1941
Criminal Courts Building

New York, NY

Built in 1941, this facility replaced The Tombs complex.