Seneca County

Seneca County Courthouse, Waterloo, NY
Seneca County Courthouse Waterloo NY
Postcard shows courthouse circa 1910
Seneca County Courthouse Waterloo NY
Seneca County Courthouse Waterloo NY
Seneca County Courthouse Waterloo NY
Seneca County Courthouse Waterloo NY
Albany County Courthouse
Present day

44 Williams Street W., Waterloo, NY

Built in 1818; additions in 1860 and 1914.

The structure was seriously damaged by fire in 1914 and renovated and expanded by architect William J. Beardsley of Poughkeepsie, NY, adding the additional wings. It was renovated again in 1993-1994.

Seneca County had two county courthouses, one in Ovid and one in Waterloo, until the early 1980s when the county decided that the Waterloo building should be the sole county courthouse. The Ovid building houses county offices (see below).

The Waterloo courthouse is a brick building with a modest lonic portico and small domed cupola, its most interesting feature being the historical courtroom on the second floor. This room has been preserved nearly intact without change reflecting the skill and creativity of nineteenth century rural architects and craftsmen.

Source: "Survey of Court Facilities in New York State," NYS Office of Court Administration. 1981 pg. 356



Seneca County Courthouse, Ovid, NY
Seneca County Courthouse Ovid NY
Seneca County Courthouse Ovid NY

Ovid, NY

Built in 1845, replacing the 1808 courthouse.

The courthouse at Ovid is the largest of three Greek revival buildings collectively known as "The Three Bears," situated atop a landscaped hill overlooking the center of town. Both inside and out, virtually no change has been made to them since they were built in 1845. The courtroom itself, although very simple and plain, is also a good example of nineteenth century rural architecture.

Source: "Survey of Court Facilities in New York State," NYS Office of Court Administration. 1981 pg. 356