Seneca County Courthouse

Seneca County Courthouse

44 Williams Street W., Waterloo, NY

Built: 1818, additions 1860, 1914

Houses: Supreme, County, Surrogate, Family and Commissioner of Jurors

Judicial District: Seventh

Seneca has county seats at Ovid and Waterloo, both of them with old historic courthouses still in active use. The courthouse at Waterloo shares its building with the county supervisors and county offices in three wings. The original center wing housing the courthouse was built in 1818 and the other two adjoining wings in 1860 and 1914, all of them having the same Greek Revival influenced venacular style--the Waterloo courthouse is a brick building with a modest lonic portico and small domed cupola, its most interesting feature being the historical courtroom on the second floor. This room has been preserved nearly intact without change reflecting the skill and creativity of nineteenth century rural architects and craftsmen.

The courthouse at Ovid is the largest of 3 Greek revival buildings collectively known as "The Three Bears", situated atop a landscaped hill overlooking the center of town. Both inside and out, virtually no change has been made to them since they were built in 1845. The courtroom itself, although very simple and plain, is also a good example of nineteenth century rural architecture.


Source: "Survey of Court Facilities in New York State", NYS Office of Court Administration...1981 pg 356