The Court of Chancery, 1691-1776

The Court of Chancery consisted of the Governor or his appointed and the Council. The court had the powers of the English Chancery and was the court of final appeal in actions under £300. Its was continued from year to year by acts of the Assembly until April of 1698 when it appears that its existence ceased. The Board of Trade, acting for the Crown, ordered the reestablishment of the court in 1701, but the colonists challenged the authority of the Board on the ground that in England, the Crown could not establish without the consent of Parliament.