The Supreme Court of Judicature, 1691-1776

The Supreme Court of Judicature consisted of a Chief Justice, a Second Justice and three Associate Justices commissioned under royal warrant. It had the same jurisdiction as the English courts of Kings Bench, Common Pleas and Exchequer and had final jurisdiction in all matters under £300. Initially, the Chief Justice was commissioned by the Crown and could be removed only by the Sovereign, while all other Justices were commissioned by the Governor and held office during his pleasure. However, in 1746 Chief Justice DeLancey received a commission "during good behavoir" and subsequently several assistant justices received similar commissions.