COURT CONSTRUCTION UPDATE
COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK
After an 18-month stay in temporary quarters, the State's highest court has
returned to its fully-renovated and expanded Court of Appeals Hall. Built in 1842
to house state offices, the Greek-revival building was converted into a courthouse in
1917, when the elaborate H.H. Richardson-designed courtroom was dismantled,
piece by piece, and moved from the State capitol to its new home. The courthouse
underwent a major renovation in 1959. By the late 1990s, another renovation was
necessary to replace failing building systems and bring the building into compliance
with the Americans With Disabilities Act, as well as fire and building codes. Because
of its growing workload, additional space was also needed.
|The new addition (above) was constructed with the same materials and designed in the same style as the original building (below).
|COURT OF APPEALS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK
WHAT'S NEW? The renovation involved about 60,000 square feet of courthouse interior, while the
additional space of about 33,000 square feet matches the courthouse's interior and exterior design.
The building's electrical, plumbing, ventilation, heating, cooling and telecommunications systems
were all replaced. Wherever possible, materials, fixtures and furnishings from the 1959 renovation
were restored. The first floor now has an enlarged public space adjacent to the courtroom; all seven
judges' chambers and the judges' conference room are for the first time on the same floor; there is
space for staff meetings and training on the third floor; and all mechanical systems and technology
are now up-to-date.
ARCHITECT: DeWolff Partnership Architects LLP
APPELLATE DIVISION, FIRST DEPARTMENT
In 1966, the New York City Landmarks Commission designated the Appellate Division, First Department
courthouse as a landmark and cited it as the "epitome of collaboration between architect, sculptor
and mural painter." By the early 1990s, the courthouse, originally completed in 1900, was showing
its age. The marble facade was deteriorating, building systems needed to be replaced or updated
and the judges' ornate wooden bench was in a state of serious disrepair.
|APPELLATE DIVISION, FIRST DEPARTMENT
WHAT'S NEW? A multi-year project has restored the courthouse to its original grandeur. The facade
has been repaired and stabilized and the major building systems replaced or modernized. The
restoration of the courtroom included the dismantling, refurnishing and reinstallation of the judges'
bench, and the replication of the original 1900 chandeliers and wall sconces, which had been
removed in an earlier renovation. In March, the courthouse was rededicated in a ceremony attended
by Gov. George E. Pataki, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Chief Judge Judith S. Kaye.
ARCHITECT: Platt Byard Dovell White LLP and SBLM Architects
WESTCHESTER COUNTY COURTHOUSE
A new annex to the Westchester County Courthouse in White Plains opened in January.
|WESTCHESTER COUNTY COURTHOUSE
WHAT'S NEW? The three-story annex includes 22 courtrooms and related space for the Family and
County Courts. A key feature is an enclosed landscaped area, open to the sky, that was created by
joining the semicircular glass-and-brick annex to the existing 20-story courthouse tower. The parklike
area is open to court visitors and can be viewed from courthouse waiting areas. The project's final
phase will be the renovation of the tower, originally completed in 1970, for the Supreme Court and
the Westchester County Surrogate.
ARCHITECT: Pei Cobb Freed & Partners
Fuller and D'Angelo P.C.
JEFFERSON COUNTY COURTHOUSE
After years of planning, design and construction, the Jefferson County Courthouse opened in
October 2004 in Watertown. The courthouse includes the Family Court, Surrogate's Court, County
Court, the Supreme Court Law Library and the Commissioner of Jurors.
|JEFFERSON COUNTY COURTHOUSE
WHAT'S NEW? The new facility is comprised of a renovated post office and a new addition. The former
post office is a historic structure, which once housed a courtroom of the federal district court, later
renovated for County Court use. The project features state-of-the-art technology, including a Digital
Evidence Presentation System. The project team worked closely with the New York State Office
of Parks and Historic Preservation, which has jurisdiction over projects that alter or otherwise have
an impact on historic buildings.
ARCHITECT: RicciGreene Associates
SUFFOLK COUNTY SIXTH DISTRICT COURT
The Sixth District Court in Patchogue was closed for 16 months while undergoing extensive renovations
to better serve its constituents. The court facility reopened on Nov. 17, 2004.
|SIXTH DISTRICT COURT IN PATCHOGUE
WHAT'S NEW? The renovated courthouse contains an enlarged courtroom to accommodate jury trials,
a jury-deliberation room, attorney-client meeting rooms, two arbitration-hearing rooms, and
enhanced security technology. The renovation also included a new heating, ventilation and air conditioning
system, a new fire alarm system, a new magnetometer and security station, new lighting in
the parking lot and landscape for the building perimeter. A spacious lobby includes a new public
information system that provides procedural "how-to" information to self-represented litigants and
ARCHITECT: Keith Larsen and Wiedersum Associates
HTML: Judicial Institute Judicial Salary Bill State of the Judiciary Drug Law Reform Welcome Innovative Jury Practices ABA American Jury Initiative Security Camera Network Court Security Review Profile: Joseph J. Traficanti Jr. Chief Justices In Manhattan Civil Case Management Court Officer Recruitment Public Access to Courts Family Court E-Petition Program Kids Go to Work Court Construction Update Fiduciary Commission Report OCA Update Bronx Court Cuts Case Backlog Law Day 2005 Merit Performance Awards