Certificate of Disposition

A Certificate of Disposition is an official court document affixed with the Court Seal that says what happened in a criminal case. It says the crime you were charged with, what you were convicted of, the date you were convicted and the sentence you got. When you apply for a job, you may be asked to get one for each of your convictions.

To get one, different courts have different processes. Contact the court that sentenced you. Use the court locator box to find the court’s phone number. There is a small fee ($5 - $10) for each certificate. Ask the court how you can pay the fee. If you are on public assistance and can’t afford the fee, you may be able to get a fee waiver. You need photo I.D. and the docket number of each case. You may be asked for your date of birth, social security number and/or date of arrest.

If you need a Certificate of Disposition to Seal Records After 10 Years (CPL 160.59) there is a form that you can fill out online and mail or bring to the Court.

Sealed Records

If a case is Sealed and you are the defendant, you must have picture I.D. and you may be asked for a notarized statement before the court will give you the Certificate of Disposition. If you are acting on behalf of the defendant who has a sealed record, you must bring a notarized statement from the defendant stating that he or she gives permission for the sealed record information to be released in the Certificate of Disposition. Use the Court Locator Box to find the contact information for the court that sentenced you. The court may have a form for this.

YouTube DIY Forms Ask a Law Librarian