New York Courts dot gov
New York StateUnified Court System

Affidavit To Vacate a Default Judgment in a Consumer Debt Case

This free and easy program makes papers that help you tell a judge why you missed your court date or didn't answer a complaint in a consumer debt case. When you finish this program, you can print a paper called an "Affidavit in Support of an Order to Show Cause," which you must give to the clerk in Civil Court. The papers ask the judge to let you come back to court.

orange arrow Go to the Affidavit to Vacate a Default Judgment in a Consumer Debt Case Program

If this program is not for you, learn more about consumer debt cases or visit one of the Civil Court's Help Centers and speak to a help center attorney free of charge, or you can see if there is a court form that you can complete yourself.

Who Can Use These Programs?
You can use DIY Forms if:

  • you're a court user and you don't have a lawyer;
  • you're a legal services provider;
  • you're a pro bono lawyer. Pro bono lawyers filing a DIY Form must submit thispro bono affirmation.
  • you're from a low-bono (reduced fee) program recognized and authorized to use the DIY Form programs by the NYS Courts Access to Justice Program. You must submit this low-bono affirmation with the filing.

Commercial use is prohibited and no one may charge for using these programs. When you begin the program, you will be asked to accept these terms of use.

Computer Requirements
In order to use DIY Form programs, make sure you have the following:

  • Attached printer

Help Using DIY Forms
SeeĀ Frequently Asked Questions for help using DIY Form programs.

Please Note: It is always better to talk to a lawyer, if possible.

Map of NY City Counties  Search Civil Court