New York Courts dot gov
New York StateUnified Court System

Small Property Owner Licensee Holdover Petition Program

This free and easy program will ask you questions and make a New York City residential licensee holdover Notice to Quit or Notice of Petition and Petition that you can print, serve and file in the courthouse. You will also get instructions that will tell you what to do. There is a fee to file the Notice of Petition and Petition at the courthouse.

You can use this program if:

  1. You do not have a lawyer, and
  2. The premises is unregulated housing, and
  3. The premises is not owned by a corporation or voluntary association, and
  4. You are the owner and landlord of the premises, and
  5. The building has five or less apartments, or is a house, cooperative or condominium that you own, and
  6. Your former tenant has moved out of the premises, and
  7. The person you want to evict was invited to live in the premises with your former tenant before your tenant moved out, and
  8. You want to evict one person.

You will need to know the following information to finish the program:

  1. If the premises is a multiple dwelling, you need the name and address of the registered managing agent and the multiple dwelling registration number. You can find this information at the NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development.
  2. It is helpful to know the exact date or your best guess for the date that your former tenant moved out of the premises.

 Go to the Licensee Holdover Program

Who Can Use These Programs?
You can use DIY Forms if:

  • you're a court user and you don't have a lawyer;
  • you're a legal services provider;
  • you're a pro bono lawyer. Pro bono lawyers filing a DIY Form must submit thispro bono affirmation.
  • you're from a low-bono (reduced fee) program recognized and authorized to use the DIY Form programs by the NYS Courts Access to Justice Program. You must submit this low-bono affirmation with the filing.

Commercial use is prohibited and no one may charge for using these programs. When you begin the program, you will be asked to accept these terms of use.

Computer Requirements
In order to use DIY Form programs, make sure you have the following:

  • Attached printer

Help Using DIY Forms
SeeĀ Frequently Asked Questions for help using DIY Form programs.

Please Note: It is always better to talk to a lawyer, if possible.