Applying to Court for a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities

Read the requirements for a court ordered Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities (CRD). If you meet the requirements, you can fill out the application form. You will need to know the offense, the court and the relief you want, to fill out the form. You may need to do a Criminal Records search.

Important! Even though the application form does not ask for proof of rehabilitation, you should attach any evidence you have, like a personal letter that explains what happened and how you are sorry; letters of recommendation from jobs or clergy; or certificates of completion of drug treatment, job training or volunteer work. Read more about getting Evidence of Rehabilitation. Submitting proof will improve your chance of the Judge granting your application.

Fill out the Application form. You must sign the form in front of a notary.

After Completing the Application and Gathering Evidence of Rehabilitation

Different Courts follow different procedures for CRD applications. Use the court locator box to find the phone number for the court that sentenced you. Call the court and ask these questions:

  • How do I submit my application, can I mail it, if so, where?
  • Do I have to get a probation report, and if so, how?
  • Do I have to submit my fingerprints, and if so, how?
  • Will I have a court date and hearing? if so, when?
  • How do I find out the Judge's decision on the CRD? Do I have to submit a self-addressed stamped envelope?

After you submit the application, you may have to meet with a probation officer. The probation officer writes a report to the Judge that says whether you should get the CRD. You can see a copy of this report, ask the judge. The court may hold a hearing before deciding whether or not to give you a CRD.

Temporary & Revoked Certificates

A CRD is temporary if it is granted while your sentence is revocable. A revocable sentence means that for a period of time the court has the power to change or take away your sentence and give you a greater punishment if you do something wrong. Revocable sentences include probation, conditional discharge and suspended sentences.

If you violate the conditions of your sentence, the court may tell you that it wants to take back the CRD. You will have a chance to ask the court to keep your CRD. If the CRD is revoked you are supposed to return the CRD to the court. It is a misdemeanor to use a revoked CRD to get relief from a disability.

Once the period of time that your sentence can be revoked ends, your temporary CRD becomes permanent.

YouTube DIY Forms Ask a Law Librarian