Adult Name Change Petition Program

Aviso: Este programa es en inglés, cuando termine este programa podrá imprimir las instrucciones en español.

The adult name change form is used to ask (or petition) the Supreme Court or NYC Civil Court to change your name.

You can use this program if:

  • You are 18 years old or older,
  • You are not in prison, on probation or on parole, and
  • You do not need to keep your name change private for safety reasons

If you are applying for a name change because your safety is in danger, DO NOT use this DIY program. It will not protect your privacy. It is recommended that you see a lawyer or a domestic violence counselor. See Privacy and Name Changes.


Correcting a Birth Certificate

You may not need a court order to correct a birth certificate mistake.



  Adult Name Change Petition Program

Note: You will be taken to our partner website called LawHelp Interactive.

You can "Sign Up" for an account or go directly to the program without signing up by clicking on the green "Get Started" button. Then check to agree to the Terms of Use and click on "Continue" to begin the program.


About DIY Forms

Who Can Use These Programs?
You can use DIY Forms if:

  • you're a court user and you don't have a lawyer;
  • you're a legal services provider;
  • you're a pro bono lawyer. Pro bono lawyers filing a DIY Form must submit thispro bono affirmation.
  • you're from a low-bono (reduced fee) program recognized and authorized to use the DIY Form programs by the NYS Courts Access to Justice Program. You must submit this low-bono affirmation with the filing.

Commercial use is prohibited and no one may charge for using these programs. When you begin the program, you will be asked to accept these terms of use.

Computer Requirements
In order to use DIY Form programs, make sure you have the following:

  • Attached printer

Help Using DIY Forms
See Frequently Asked Questions for help using DIY Form programs.

YouTube DIY Forms Ask a Law Librarian Court User Survey