Name Change Forms

Here are the forms for changing a name in the Civil or Supreme Court. There are different forms to request a name change for an adult and a child. If you want to change your name because you are getting married or divorced go to the Changing Your Name Through Marriage, Divorce, Adoption or Citizenship page.

The easiest way to change a name is to make the court papers you need using the DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Form program. This program walks you step-by-step throughout the paperwork you need and gives you helpful definitions and legal information. When you finish the program you get the court forms you need and instructions of what to do next.

If you can't use the DIY Form computer programs you can print paper forms and fill them out by hand. You should use Adobe Reader to download and view the form.



Forms for New York City Residents

These forms are filed in the Civil Court of the City of New York.
If you live in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens or Staten Island, the fee is only $65.00. You can also file your petition in Supreme Court where the fee is about $300.00.


Form Type
 Adult Name Change Petition Program> (recommended)
 Child Name Change Petition Program> (recommended)
General Instructions pdf
Petition for Adult Name Change pdf
Petition for Child Name Change
Consent for Name Change
Petition for Family Change of Name
Supplemental Petition for Family Change of Name
YouTube DIY Forms Ask a Law Librarian Court User Survey