New York Courts dot gov
New York StateUnified Court System

Adult Name Change Petition Program

This free and easy program will ask you questions and make a New York City Adult Name Change Petition for you. When you finish the program, you can print your Name Change Petition. The program will tell you how to file it in the courthouse to change your name. The court charges $65.00 to file the Petition in the Civil Court.

You can use this program if:

  • You are 18 years or older, and
  • You are not in prison, on probation or on parole.

Name change requests can be viewed by anyone because they are public records, but you can ask the court to "seal" your records for your personal safety. This means that no one will be able to find the records of your application even while the case is pending.

For general information about domestic violence, contact the New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence at 1-800-942-6906 (Llame al 1-800-942-6908 para Español).

orange arrow Go to the Adult Name Change Petition Program

If this program is not for you, learn more about name changes or visit one of the Civil Court's Help Centers and speak to a help center attorney free of charge, or you can see if there is a court form that you can complete yourself.

Who Can Use These Programs?
You can use DIY Forms if:

  • you're a court user and you don't have a lawyer;
  • you're a legal services provider;
  • you're a pro bono lawyer. Pro bono lawyers filing a DIY Form must submit thispro bono affirmation.
  • you're from a low-bono (reduced fee) program recognized and authorized to use the DIY Form programs by the NYS Courts Access to Justice Program. You must submit this low-bono affirmation with the filing.

Commercial use is prohibited and no one may charge for using these programs. When you begin the program, you will be asked to accept these terms of use.

Computer Requirements
In order to use DIY Form programs, make sure you have the following:

  • Attached printer

Help Using DIY Forms
See Frequently Asked Questions for help using DIY Form programs.

Please Note: It is always better to talk to a lawyer, if possible.

Map of NY City Counties  Search Civil Court