New York Courts dot gov
New York StateUnified Court System

About the Universal Access to Legal Services Law

Some tenants can get a free lawyer in their cases under the Universal Access to Legal Services Law. New York City is the first city in the country to provide universal access to lawyers for tenants in housing cases. By 2022, all tenants should be able to get some free legal assistance.

Visit Free Lawyers for Tenants to see if you qualify.

back to top

How Can a Lawyer Help?

A lawyer can help by:

  • Representing you in court
  • Stopping an eviction
  • Getting an order for repairs
  • Figuring out if the rent you are charged is too high
  • Connecting you with service agencies that can help
  • Negotiating with your landlord
  • Preparing and filing court papers

back to top

How Do I Find a Lawyer?

At the courthouse you can visit the Human Resources Administration (HRA) offices located at:

County Room
Bronx 1A
Brooklyn 201
Manhattan 854
Queens 121
Staten Island 4

You can also ask the Clerk or Court Attorney in the courtroom.

Before you go to court you can contact a Legal Services Office near you or email: