Opinion 05-85

September 21, 2005

         This is in response to your inquiry (05-85) in which you ask whether you may represent yourself in a child custody matter which your former spouse is appealing, as well as in possible enforcement and related proceedings.

         Section 100.4(G) of the Rules Governing Judicial Conduct states that “A full-time judge shall not practice law. Notwithstanding this prohibition, a judge may act pro se and may, without compensation, give legal advice to a member of the judge’s family.” 22 NYCRR 100.4(G). (emphasis added.) Accordingly, you are permitted to represent yourself in the matter described.