New York Courts dot gov
New York StateUnified Court System

Roommate Holdover Program

This free and easy program will ask you questions and make a New York City residential roommate holdover Notice of Termination or Notice of Petition and Petition that you can print, serve and file in the courthouse. You will also get instructions that will tell you what to do. There is a fee to file the Notice of Petition and Petition at the courthouse.

You can use this program if:
1. Your roommate is supposed to pay you rent to live with you
2. Your roommate rents from you not the landlord
3. Your roommate shares some rooms with you, such as a kitchen, bathroom or livingroom.

You will need to know the following information to finish the program:

1. If the premises is a multiple dwelling, you need the name and address of the registered managing agent and the multiple dwelling registration number. You can find this information at the NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development.

2. You need to know the date your agreement to rent to your roommate started.

Go to the Roommate Holdover Program

If this program is not for you, learn more about starting a roommate holdover or visit one of the Civil Court’s Help Centers and speak to a Help Center attorney free of charge.

Computer Requirements
You must have the following on your computer:

1. Adobe Flash to see the program. Get it now for free.

Get Adobe Flash Player

2. Microsoft Word to print the completed court forms properly. If you don't have Microsoft Word, you can download Word Viewer now for free.

Get MS Office Word Viewer

Please Note: It is always better to talk to a lawyer, if possible.

DIY Forms are not for commercial use and charging for use in any way is prohibited.



Map of NY City Counties  Search Housing Court: