Certificate of Relief from Disabilities

A Certificate of Relief from Disabilities (CRD) is a way to remove certain Collateral Consequences of a criminal conviction. Having the CRD can remove bars to applying for jobs, licenses, public housing and more. If you apply for and receive a CRD, you will have the right to apply just like someone without a conviction. But, having a CRD is not a guarantee that your application will be granted. And, even if you have a CRD, you still have to say that you have a criminal conviction when you fill out a job application.

If it has been more than 10 years since you were convicted of a crime, you may be able to ask the Court to seal your records. Visit Sealed Records: After 10 Years.


You are eligible to get a CRD if you have been convicted of any number of misdemeanors or violations, but have not been convicted of more than 1 felony (2 or more felony convictions in the same court on the same day are counted as 1 felony for the CRD). If you have been convicted of 2 or more felonies (not at the same time), or if you want to apply for a public office job, you can’t apply for a CRD, but you may be able to get a Certificate of Good Conduct. See Certificate of Good Conduct. You need a separate CRD for each conviction. If you are not sure about your criminal history visit Criminal Records & Sealing to learn more.

When and Where to Apply

  • At Sentencing: You can apply for a CRD at Sentencing. This can be done by asking the Judge for a CRD. If you are going to lose an employment license or public housing because of your conviction, it is important to ask for a CRD at sentencing.
  • After Sentencing: You can apply any time after sentencing for a CRD, except you can’t apply while you are in a state prison. After sentencing, you apply to the court that sentenced you as long as your conviction did not result in state prison time. See Applying to Court for a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities.
  • After State Prison: If you served time in a state prison and have been released you apply to the Department of Corrections and Community Supervision to get a CRD.
YouTube DIY Forms Ask a Law Librarian