Name Change: Criminal Convictions

If you have been convicted of certain crimes, like violent felonies and/or sex offenses, and you are in prison or on parole, there are different requirements for asking the court to change your name. You must serve the Petition with a Notice of Petition on the District Attorneys in any counties where you were convicted and on each court where you were sentenced for each felony. The Notice of Petition must have a court date at least 60 days after the court papers are served. The Petition is served like a Notice of Motion is served. The District Attorney can choose to submit papers objecting to your name change. See Civil Rights Law section 62.

You must give the court all the details about the conviction – felonies convicted of, dates convicted, and courts where convicted. The name change forms and DIY Form program on this website will not make the right papers for you.

YouTube DIY Forms Ask a Law Librarian